LinkedIn is a great tool for professional networking and potentially looking for the next career move. Follow these steps to get the most out of your LinkedIn profile.
- Pick the right headshot. LinkedIn isn’t a dating site. Make sure your photo is professional looking and something that shows you in your best light.
- Make sure your LinkedIn profile is completely filled out. Don’t leave any areas blank. Take the time to really think about what you put in each section.
- Update your headline. This spot defaults to your most recent job title. Use this space to explain your core expertise and areas you work in instead of just “manager, director or associate.”
- Help people contact you. Include a personal email address even if it is just one you use exclusively for LinkedIn.
- Customize your URL. Your LinkedIn URL should be linkedin.com/in/yourname. To customize the URL, search LinkedIn Help or web search “LinkedIn customize URL.”
- Expect your current employer to look at your profile. Make sure that your profile doesn’t give away any proprietary information and that it is compliant with any company standards.
- Proofread every word. Any potential employers will be the ones to catch that spelling or grammatical error.
- Use your LinkedIn. Join groups, reply to posts or share relevant information on a regular basis.
LinkedIn is a great place to create a professional network or get your foot in the door. Make sure you are set up to make the best impression possible.